(Irresistibly spicy fresh prawns with capsicum and onions, a touch of Soya Served)
Chilli Prawns is one of the most ordered dishes. It is loved majorly by all seafood lovers. The delicious flavours of garlic with prawns and its crispy treasure is just food heaven.
The sesame seeds and onions while garnishing provides a blend of texture. The coriander maintains the freshness of the food.
Chilli Prawns is traditionally prepared in iron Kadai with flipping and sauteing to get out the authentic flavours.
So here’s the recipe for mouthwatering, vibrant and delicious, Chilli Prawns.
To marinate the Prawns
- Black pepper powder- ½ tbsp
- Corn flour- 1 tbsp
- Maida or self-rising flour- 1 tbsp
- Salt (preferably sea salt)- ½ tbsp
- Vegetable oil
- Water as required
- Sugar- ½ tbsp
- 250 gms of deveined prawns
To prepare the sauce
- 1+½ tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp olive oil or sesame oil
- ½ capsicum or bell pepper cubed
- ¼ th cup of spring onions
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 or 2 chilli slits
- 1+½ tsp soya sauce
- 1+½ tsp vinegar
- 1+½ tsp chilli sauce
- 1 tsp of chilli powder mixed with 2 tsp water
- ½ tsp crushed black pepper
- 1/s tsp sugar
- Sesame seeds
- Coriander leaves or cilantro- 2 tbsp chopped
- Onions chopped
- Rinse the deveined prawns under water until clean
- Add ½ tsp of sugar and salt in 1 bowl of water. Stir till dissolved. Add this to the prawns.
- Set aside for 15 to 20 mins then drain the water
- Mix salt, black pepper powder, cornflour, oil, maida in a mixture (measurement above). Marinate the prawns with this mixture and set aside for 10 to 15 mins
- Heat oil in a pan, on medium heat and coat the container with the oil. Now Put the marinated prawns in the oil and flip them for 3 mins till they swing and take a C-like shape. Do not overcook
- Clear up the pan and put a little more oil in the pan now
- Saute garlic until fragrant. Add chillies, capsicums and bell pepper.
- Sprinkle sugar and salt while sauteing
- Add Chilli paste, chilli sauce, vinegar, pepper and Soya sauce.
- Toss for 5 mins. Add prawns and saute for 2 more minutes.
- Garnish it with onions, chopped coriander and sesame seeds
Tip: To get the perfect Chilli prawns texture, do not overcook the prawns. They will turn rubbery and chewy if overcooked. Saute the prawns for only a minute or two max. Otherwise, they will turn soggy.