A comfort food, this dish is one of the finest vegetarian delicacies served in many Nepali restaurants.
Red lentils are cooked with onions, garlic, ginger and aromatic spices into a scrumptious curry. It is served with plain rice or chapati.
- Clarified butter (Ghee) or regular cooking oil – 2 tbsp
- Medium-sized chopped onion – 1 No.
- Crushed garlic – 2 cloves
- Grated ginger – 2 ” piece
- Freshly ground coriander seeds – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Red lentils – 1 cup
- Water – 3 cups
- Salt to Taste
- (Finely) Chopped fresh coriander/cilantro – 2 tbsp
- Take a deep pan and add ghee or oil. Add finely chopped onion and saute it over medium heat for 5-7 minutes. Cook till it turns golden brown.
- Turn the heat to low flame and add garlic, ginger, crushed coriander seeds, turmeric and red chilli powder. Stir well to mix the spices well. Cook the mixture for about 3-5 minutes over low flame.
- Add washed and soaked red lentils. Stir well to coat the lentils with the onion and spice mix. Cook them while stirring for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add water and turn up the heat to bring the mix to a boil. Now put salt, turn the flame to medium-low and let the mix simmer for 15 minutes.
- When the lentils turn tender still holding its shape, stir in some freshly chopped cilantro and take it off the heat.
- Serve hot with plain rice or chapati.