Eggplant Bharta is a popular North Indian Punjabi dish of smoky mashed eggplants in a sauteed, tangy, spiced base of onions, tomatoes, garlic, and spices. Let’s see the recipe for this delicious dish.
Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 19 Minutes
Total Time: 29 Minutes
- 2 large eggplants
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 medium onion (Finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 2 green chillies (Chopped)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 medium tomatoes (Finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander leaves
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Wash the eggplants and prick them with a fork. Grease them with oil and roast them in the oven for 40-45 minutes, or until the skin becomes charred and the flesh is soft and cooked.
- Remove the eggplants from the oven and let them cool down. Once they are cool, remove the skin and mash the flesh using a fork or a masher.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add cumin seeds and let them splutter. Add onions and saute until they turn golden brown.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and green chillies, and saute for a minute.
- Add chopped tomatoes, coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, cumin powder and salt. Mix well and cook for 5-7 minutes or until the tomatoes turn soft and mushy.
- Add the mashed eggplant to the pan and mix well. Cook for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with roti, naan, or rice.
Enjoy your delicious Eggplant Bharta!