Pakheta (Chicken Wings)
(marinated and grilled chicken wings served with Saffron rice)
Pakheta or Chicken Wings is one of the most eaten Nepalese dishes. It is trendy in Nepal and is loved by all. The delicious flavour of lightly burned garlic and the ginger sauce adds a smoky flavour to the crispy chicken wings.
Freshly chopped and added coriander along with spring onions adds freshness and lightness to the dish! The garnishing of sesame seeds adds a unique texture to the taste.
Prepared in traditional Napalese style and served with Saffron rice, you are sure to go on a tasty ride of delicious flavours.
Serves: 1 or 2
- To marinate the Chicken Wings
- Black pepper powder- ½ tbsp
- Turmeric powder- 1 tbsp
- Red Chilli Powder- 1 tbsp
- Salt (preferably sea salt)- ½ tbsp
- Chicken wings- 4
To prepare the batter:
- 1 big bowl
- ½ cup maida or self-rising flour
- ½ cup corn flour or cornstarch
- ½ tsp pepper powder
- Salt as per taste
- Water as required
- Oil for frying the Chicken Wings
To prepare the sauce:
- 1+½ tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp olive oil or sesame oil
- ½ cup chopped coriander or cilantro
- ¼ th cup of spring onions
- 5 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 or 2 chilli slits
- 1 small ginger finely chopped
- 1 tsp soya sauce
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1+½ tsp chilli sauce
- 1/s tsp sugar
- Salt as per taste
- Coriander leaves or cilantro- 2 tbsp chopped
- Spring onions chopped
- Rinse the chicken wings under water until clean.
- Drain the water and put it in a clean bowl
- Add ½ tsp of black pepper to it.
- Add 1 tsp of turmeric and red chilli powder each. Lastly, add salt to the bowl of chicken wings. Stir till all wings are coated in the spices.
- Cover the bowl with a lid and set it aside for 15 to 20 mins.
- For the batter, take a big bowl mix the cornflour, pepper powder and self-rising flour along with salt and some water. The batter must be like a thicker version of pancake batter.
- Boil the oil for frying in a container
- Dip the marinated chicken wings in the batter and deep fry till adequately cooked.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Add the chopped garlic and ginger to the oil, stir it.
- Add the chilli slits, soy sauce, vinegar, spring onion, cilantro, pepper powder, red chilli sauce, a pinch of sugar and salt as per taste.
- Saute till it is boiling and fragrant.
- Add the fried chicken wings, and make sure to coat it with the complete sauce.
- Get the wings along with some sauce on a serving bowl or plate.
- Garnish it with freshly chopped cilantro and spring onions.
- Serve with Saffron rice.
Tip: To get the perfect Chilli prawns texture, do not overcook the prawns. They will turn rubbery and chewy if overcooked. Saute the prawns for only a minute or two max. Otherwise, they will turn soggy.