An everyday dish made using the soft & velvety cottage cheese and peas; Matar Paneer is a quintessential dish from the kitchens of Punjab. Boiled peas and paneer cubes are cooked on slow flames in a rich and tangy tomato curry, loaded with an assortment of aromatic Indian spices. Served hot with chapati, naan or rice, this dish will sort your dinner woes.
- 2 cups cubed and fried paneer
- 2 cups green peas
- 3-4 slit green chillies
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 tsp peeled garlic cloves
- 1 tsp chopped ginger
- 1/2 cup grated tomato
- 4 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- Salt to Taste
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp dried chilli powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves (for garnish), chopped
How to Make Matar Paneer
- Take a blender and put in onions, garlic and ginger. Blend it in a smooth paste. Now take a pan and heat oil.
- Add cumin seeds, once they start to splutter put in bay leaves. Now add onion paste and saute till it turns brown and the oil starts leaving the side.
- Add tomatoes, turmeric powder, salt, garam masala, red chilli powder and coriander powder. Stir fry till the oil separates.
- Now add boiled peas, paneer and green chillies. Saute it over high heat till they turn glossy.
- Add water as required and bring it to a boil. Let it simmer for about 5-10 minutes.
- Transfer it in a serving bowl and garnish it with coriander leaves and serve hot with chapati, naan or rice.